Here's my latest re-purposing project: Egg cartons into bowls/cups. These egg cartons sat on top of the microwave for longer that I care to admit, and I finally found a great way of repurposing them. It's so simple, and I have a feeling you're going to want to give it a try.
-Bowls and/or cups to use as molds (not pictured)
-Water (not pictured)
-Blender (not pictured)
- Break up the egg cartons into small pieces.
- Put the egg carton pieces in blender pitcher, add water and blend. Add as much water necessary for all cardboard pieces to get broken up. Any excess water can always be squeezed out.
- Put water/cardboard mixture in a colander to drain excess water out. Use your hands to squeeze the water out until your mixture looks something like the photo below. You will know your mixture is the right consistency once you make a ball with your hand and it doesn't crack or break up.
- Pick out which bowls/cups you want to use as molds. Grab some of your cardboard mixture and use it to line the inside of your molds as pictured below.
- Set your molds out to dry. Mine took a couple of days to dry since I made my bowls/cups anywhere from 3/8 to half an inch in thickness. The new bowls and cups will slide right out.
- Grab your paint and start decorating your bowls/cups. I picked three paints: black, gold, and white.
Let them dry, and you got yourself some pretty rad and unique receptacles for anything you need contained.
The designs painted on the bowls/cups were pretty random, but there was one common design element in all: the golden edges.